Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Ryan Homes gets a B-

(Sorry for the long post)

Our pre-drywall meeting is coming up tomorrow, so I had an inspection done.  The home inspector did a great job and pointed out several issues that need fixed and even some suggestions.  The problem is our PM is not going to do quite a few of these items.

Unlike custom home building where you control the purse strings (since you have the construction loan), when you build a new home with a builder such as Ryan Homes, you don't have much control over some of the details.  This creates a problem, since Quality is no longer the top concern.  Instead, things like the profit and speed become paramount.

Ryan Homes is no more to blame than any of the other "non-custom" home builders.  The process is similar to buying a car at a dealership.  You can pick all the options you want and possibly view it being built at the factory, but you can't truly customize it (i.e. pick a non-oem stereo, alarm system, etc) until after you drive it off the lot.  Also, you can't oversee the assembly process and request the manufacturer make small changes to the design (move interior lighting, add more cushioning to the seats, etc).

The true problem lies in the fact that the home builder only needs to comply with local building codes.  Anything above and beyond this is at their discretion.  Ensuring quality requires time and additional resources, which affects the bottom line.

Builders get reputations on the value and quality of the homes they build.  Our inspector gave Ryan Homes a B-.  This is a decent grade, but I think Ryan Homes can do better.

First off, this is my house.   I am paying a lot of money for it (much more than a car).  If I want you to replace a stud, do it.  Note to Ryan Homes: Quit taking shortcuts and trying to use what should be scrap lumber.  Stop "repairing" warped studs by cutting them and attaching a short stub to it - just replace it.

Second, remember I am the customer and the customer is always right.  Well, not always, but at least treat the owner with respect and acknowledge their problem and suggest possible solutions.  Note to Ryan Homes: If I want additional electrical wire protection brackets, just do it.  It doesn't cost much and will make me happier.

Third, stop "nickel and diming" us for all the options.  When it is cheaper for me to add things after the house is built, than when it is being built, something is wrong.  Note to Ryan Homes: Why should I have to rip out my carpet (and waste it) to put in hardwood floors that are cheaper than what you sell.

Here are my inspection notes to the PM:









10 comments:

  1. Wow, it's evident from the notes and the photos that your home inspector did a really thorough job. I hope and pray the one we hire is as good as yours! Just out of curiosity, what did RH say they weren't willing to fix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did do a thorough job, but to keep the cost of the inspection down ($125) I asked him to only point out things and hand-write items. I typed them up and took the photos.

      I'm going over the full list with the PM tomorrow and will let you know the details.

      Delete
    2. They aren't putting in the shower seat, roof vent for Morning Room/1st floor bedroom, extra electrical protective plates, fixing twisting floor joists, bowed stud, protecting 2nd floor water line, low spot in basement, or drain along foundation.

      Delete
  2. This is the type of stuff that drives me crazy with new construction builders. They like to cut to many corners. Our PM told us even though we're getting a inspection its up to their discretion to make any adjustments. Hopefully your PM is reasonable and agrees to make most of these changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the PM doesn't agree to make these changes I'll be peeved, but I'll survive. However, he can expect my answers and his score on the completion survey to reflect his response.

      Delete

  3. In my mind there is no reason they shouldn't fix all showen above. Hope they agree to fix it all. Good idea on doing your only pictures and report to save money, you did a great job along with your inspector.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it really depends on the PM and region. I've been told that the most of the Ryan Home complaints come from a particular region (PA and OH being the worse, Northern VA being the best as far as customer service for Ryan Homes). I know many RH owners that were able tor request a nonstandard option to be do. They submitted the paper work and it was up the PM if it were to be approved. Many of them were approved. My PM has been great although we haven't really asked him for anything like that ourselves. He has already gotten us in touch with the person that builds the decks so he can get started on building the deck we wanted (for the half the price) as soon as we close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was nice of him to do. I'm now trying to let them agree to have the irrigation system installed prior to the sod being installed. We'll see how that goes.

      Delete
  5. Amen to your 3 keys. We've had the same luck with our building process/cutting corners but falling under "code." I can't count the amount of times I've reminded them that I'm paying a good deal of money for what needs to be a quality product. And that I'm the customer & things will be done when it's convenient for us, not the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did they fix them?
      I understand them not wanting to do things we didn't pay for, but how hard is it to provide a quality product that makes the customer happy?

      Delete