Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Elevation M Options?

I just got an interesting email from our PM.

"I have to apologize, because I inadvertently told you that the porch roof and garage accent roof would be metal. I reviewed the file today and realized that you did not select the metal roof option. It was not indicated on the selections you made with ***, and my notes from our preconstruction meeting show it as a shingled roof. When I answered your email, I had pulled a print that showed the metal roof, but was not accurately drawn lot-specific. If you believe this is an error, please let me know. I didn’t see any change orders either that would have addressed the roof type on the accent roofs.
Again, sorry for the miscommunication, and please let me know if you have any documentation that would contradict this."

We were never told any of the items shown on the elevation drawing/plans were optional.  I emailed him back and said this.  Anyone encounter anything like this?

We'll see what happens next...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

Frustrated with this whole issue, I began to pour over the documents I have.  I happen to have a copy of the elevation M plans from when we signed the contract and the one the PM has now (Don't ask me how).

I noticed a change to the plans and a revision note in the title box.  It seems the plans were modified after we signed the contract to make the Standing Seam Metal Roof Accents optional (for an additional fee).  The revision (REV. NO 2 : JEM - OPTIONAL METAL ROOF PROJECT) was made 1/30/2015 and the plans were printed on 3/16/2015.

So, it looks like we will get the Standing Seam Metal Roof Accents as expected.  However, if you are building a Ravenna Elevation M, be sure to confirm this with your SR.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 2:

Just got an email from SR:

"I did just meet with my manager and we discussed the Metal Roof with Elevation M. Long story short, I got it approved."

Wonderful news!

Lesson learned: document everything and keep good records.

8 comments:

  1. Nick, we had an issue with our master selection sheet (MSS). I'm not sure if this is the same thing or not--so bare with me. Our MSS indicated that we should get porch railings. It wasn't until after our pre-construction meeting and framing was complete that we were told that although the MSS indicated that railings were a part of the home, our model and community rules were different. I'd say go over your Selection Acknowledgement Report and MSS and if it says that the porch roof is "standard" as metal then you should hold them to what's there. I hope this makes sense....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make sense. I just don't see an option on the MSS or anywhere else for this.

      Delete
  2. Oh no! Sorry you had to deal with this. I wonder why they changed the metal roof as an optional fee now. They do realize Elevation M is an upgraded elevation & already costs more than all the other Ravenna's. Anything for extra cash!!

    I'll be sure to look for this when they start our roof on our Elevation M. We were asked though what color choice we wanted at Selection meeting so hoping there are no issues. What color did you go with? The picture of the model I took for you that has your colors has Oil-Bronze I believe. It looks black but a different finish than true black. Looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We weren't given a color choice. I assumed it was predetermined based on the color group we picked, kind of like the door color - you don't get a choice.
      I think we have a strong case, I just don't want this to drag on.

      Delete
  3. What do you mean about the door color choice? If you don't like a color you definitely have a choice. We picked every color. They tried to request we stick to the color pallets in the book but we had the choice. Actually our door was different than the color in the book. I know some people do change the door colors after close too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was our community, but we had to stick to the color palette book they provided. With the exterior siding/brick colors came a pre-selected color for doors and shutters. We were told we can repaint the door later, if we wanted. However, I was happy with our the color choices, including the door.

      Delete
    2. Just chiming in: we didn't get to choose our exterior colors, either. They come pre-selected with the exterior brick. But you're right, after closing you can paint it any color the HOA deems acceptable. :)

      Nick, I'm so glad you got everything worked out! It really shows the value of keeping every last paper they give you. We scanned everything and we keep it in Dropbox so that both my husband and I have easy access whenever we need it.

      Delete
    3. I just signed up for Dropbox. I normally use an encrypted, password protected (bitlocker) usb drive I keep on my key-chain. But it would be a good idea to have a back-up.

      Delete