Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Getting Ready to Pour

Went to visit the site again today.  Looks like the foundation is getting prepared. Here are some pictures of the progress:

Front of House

Left side of House

Rear of House

Rear of House

Right side of House

Right side of House

Front of House

While I was there, I ran into the Developer (not Ryan Homes), whom I had never met before.  I was taking pictures of the "Dry" Detention Basin.  (I use the quotes, because it has more water in it than it is supposed to).

"Dry" Detention Pond.  Standing Water level too high - Micropool should be about 1/4 of this size per plans.
At least the ducks are enjoying it.

First words out of his mouth, as I am walking up the hill, are "Is there a problem with the basin?".  So, we talk about some of the problems I have noticed.  He is planning to fix them soon.  It seems someone contacted the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency and reported them for erosion control violations.  I wonder who did it?

We also talked about the "pond" on my lot and the landscape berm issue.  They are still trying to come up with a fix that makes everyone happy.  Hopefully, we'll know more in the near future.

My "pond", which they are going to drain.

One of the issues with the detention basin that I deem to be a big issue is an outlet pipe (also missing the rock outlet protection) that doesn't discharge any water:

Outlet pipe that has water coming from under endwall.

I have visited this site on numerous occasions and not once have I noticed any water coming from this pipe.  Instead, there is a constant flow of water coming from under the concrete endwall, where the algae is.  The developer said this is common.  I'm a civil engineer and I have never seen this happen before.  I asked other engineers around my office and they said this is not common; it's a problem.

Hopefully, they will fix this, since this is the pipe that runs between my lot and my neighbors.

6 comments:

  1. As I was look throught your pictures, I was looking to see if the pond was still there. I see it still is... They are saying its a common issue, as they don't know what they are doing, so they commonly make the same mistake. Lol just had to say it. They need to pull up the outlet pipe and do it correctly. They seems to delay fixing things hoping you will forget or stop caring. Don't give up. In the end if they don't just get yourself some ducks for your pond, lol. The ducks look like they love your Community, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The developer has already had a very costly mistake with the previous road location and underground piping. They had to rip everything out and shift it 50' west because of the overhead power line easement.
      So, I expect they are trying to cut costs and avoid additional (and required) work, such as this pipe problem and the basin issues. It's just bad news for them (and good news for the neighborhood), since a civil engineer is buying one of these lots and pointing out their mistakes.

      Delete
  2. Your pre-foundation scene makes ours look archaic. Their work is very neat and tidy. Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather so they can get it poured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had great weather the last week. That's why I think it looks so neat. It's raining today, so I'll take a few pics and see how things have held up.
      Our Ryan Home builders are great. The only problems we have encountered are the developer's construction crew; they push dirt around with no regard for the property pins. I've noticed a couple disturbed and may need reset.

      Delete
  3. It would've taken great restraint for me to not ask him to provide examples to back up his "common" comment. Or to ask how the outlet piping is doing its job if it's pristine inside...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost started arguing with him, but decided not to. Better to let the County Engineer's office tell him it's wrong. (Also, better to let the OEPA to tell him he's in violation of sediment and erosion control measures).

      Delete